Looking for a fun Christmas or winter activity that incorporates science, technology, engineering, and/or math? Christmas-Winter STEM / STEAM Challenges are the perfect activities because they engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun!
The basic premise:
Working against a criteria/constraints list, each student will design and build reindeer antlers. Students are then grouped for a reindeer relay race in which they use their antlers to transport and hand-off Christmas decorations.
– To save time, have each student build just one antler. During the relay race, they will share with their teammates so each person “running” will have two antlers to hold on their head.
Note: This is the digital format, compatible with Google Slides ™.
- NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Teacher Tips:
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Slides
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Student Slides
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable)
- Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
- Extension templates
- Process flow map
- Create & solve math problems based on designs
- Website linked slides for Arctic and Antarctic Animals
- Arctic/Antarctic Animal Riddle Template
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. You don’t need to provide all of the following materials. Select a subset and/or add in your own ideas.)
For each student or group:
- Pipe cleaners (10 – 15 or less if building only one antler)
- Popsicle/craft sticks (10 – 15 or less if building only one antler)
- Christmas decorations (10 – 15 mixed pieces per group)
- Ornaments (plastic), tinsel, bows, ribbon, garland, etc.
- Rubber bands
- Glue gun
- Timers/Stopwatches (for relay race)
- Cones or sidewalk chalk (for relay race markers)
This resource is also available in print format and as part of the Christmas/Winter and the Mega STEM Challenge bundles. Click through below: