Looking for a fun Halloween activity that incorporates science, technology, engineering, and/or math? Halloween STEM / STEAM Challenges are collaborative, brain-busting work disguised as fun!
The basic premise:
Working individually or with a partner against a criteria and constraints list, students design and engineer a new set of bat wings, with the goal being to achieve maximum flight distance and/or accuracy. You can even throw in style points, if you like! It’s a paper airplane challenge with a twist!
This is great for Halloween or just connected to a unit on bats (especially if your school frowns on Halloween activities)!
Note: This is the digital format, compatible with Google Slides ™.*
For the print version, click here.
*While all the student record & reflection work is done in Google Slides, students will need paper to create their designs for this challenge. If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
- NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Teacher Tips:
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Slides
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Student Handouts/Slides
- Wingless bat body handouts (2 options provided)
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable)
- Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
- Extension templates
- Process flow map
- Create & solve math problems based on designs
- 12 sample word problem slides (3 sets of 4 questions at different levels)
- Related video slides
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. You don’t need to provide all of the following materials. Select a subset and/or add in your own ideas.)
- Copies of Bat Bodies (included in resource)
- Tape measure
- Notebook paper
This resource is also available in print format and as part of the Halloween and the Mega STEM Challenge bundles. Click through below:
There are no reviews yet.