Creature Catcher Halloween STEM Challenge Paperless
Students work in partners or groups against a criteria and constraints list to design a device to catch as many “creatures” as possible.
Looking for a fun Halloween activity that incorporates science, technology, engineering, and/or math? Halloween STEM / STEAM Challenges are collaborative, brain-busting work disguised as fun!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against a criteria and constraints list to design a device to catch as many “creatures” as possible. If you aren’t allowed to do Halloween activities, you can use this to start off a unit on spiders, food chains/webs, energy pyramids and more!
Note: This is the digital format, compatible with Google Slides ™.
- NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Teacher Tips:
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Slides
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Student Slides
- Criteria and Constraints List (editable)
- Results and Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
- Extension templates
- Process flow map
- Create & solve math problems based on designs
- 12 sample word problem slides (3 sets of 4 questions at different levels)
- Related video slides
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. You don’t need to provide all of the following materials. Select a subset and/or add in your own ideas.)
- Yarn, string, or twine (3 – 5 yards)
- Pipe Cleaners (4 – 6)
- plastic bugs, bats, spiders, etc. (one set per class or per testing station will do)
- ~12 x 12 in. mat or bucket
- Additions or substitutions for string:
- cable ties
- Coffee filters, foil, or paper (makes the challenge easier for younger students)
- Mix-ins (if adding increased-difficulty criterion for some objects to pass through the creature catcher
This resource is also available in print format and as part of the Halloween and the Mega STEM Challenge bundles. Click through below:
Note: Any coupon codes you received for subscribing to the email are for this site and will not work on TpT.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.