This Thanksgiving STEM Challenge will keep your kids engaged!
The basic premise:
Individually or in partners/groups, students will design and build a shelter to protect one or more Pilgrims or Wampanoag people from wind, rain, and snow.
–Note: Pilgrim and Wampanoag cut-outs have been provided, so you have the option of using either or both.
Note: This is the digital format, compatible with Google Slides ™.
For the print version, click here.
- NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Teacher Tips:
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Slides
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Student Slides/Handouts
- Criteria & Constraints List
- Pilgrim and Wampanoag Cut-outs for shelter-building (color & B&W)
- Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
- Extension templates
- Process flow map
- Create & solve math problems based on designs
- Physical Properties of Building Materials Handouts (“wide-rule” and “college rule” versions)
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. You don’t need to provide all of the following materials. Select a subset and/or add in your own ideas.)
For each student or group:
- Popsicle/craft sticks (30 – 50)
- Pipe cleaners (5 – 10)
- Masking or packing tape (24 – 36 in.)
- Cardboard / paper plates / small cups
- Ruler (to measure shelter dimensions)
- Copies of Pilgrim and/or Wampanoag cut-outs
- Copies of data recording & analyzing handouts
- Spray bottle, eye dropper (to simulate rain)
- Bottled Water (to simulate snow weight)
- Small fan (to simulate wind; alternatively, you can blow through a straw)
- Coffee filters
- Cable ties
This resource is also available in print format and as part of the Thanksgiving and the Mega STEM Challenge bundles. Click through below:
There are no reviews yet.