Thanksgiving STEM Challenge Bundle Paperless
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build Thanksgiving-themed devices.
These Thanksgiving STEM / STEAM Challenges will engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun while following the Pilgrims’ journey to the New World! Thanksgiving activities can be fun AND a good use of instructional time!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build Thanksgiving-themed devices. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 – 8.
There are five STEM design challenge events included in this bundle:
- Though the Pumpkin Picker and Corn Cultivator challenges could be interchanged, the recommended order is based on the following story line:
- Pilgrims come to America (Mini Mayflower)
- Pilgrims require shelter (Protect-a-Pilgrim)
- (note: Native American cut-outs are included so students can build for Pilgrims and/or Native Americans)
- Pilgrims gather food (Pumpkin Picker)
- Pilgrims begin to practice organized agriculture (Corn Cultivator)
- With food & shelter in place, Pilgrims have time for fun and games (Turkey Transporter)
This bundle saves you ~40% off the cost of buying each challenge separately. What a bargain! ☺
See the preview below:
Note: This version is for use with Google Slides in 1:1 / paperless classrooms. If you prefer to print and have students complete work with paper/pencil, you’ll want to look at the printable version instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to reach out with a question: [email protected]
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
- Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker (Google Slide format & printable version)
Plus, each challenge comes with:
- NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Teacher Tips
- Links to STEM Challenge “How-to” Videos
- Links to challenge-specific video walk-throughs
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Student Slides
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable versions provided)
- Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
- Extension slides
- Process Flow Map
- Create & Solve Math Problems Based on Designs
- Several video / website slides for broadening understanding of related topics
- Plus, other design-specific extensions (see each individual challenge resource description page for more details)
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
– Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
– Helps students develop growth mindset traits like persistence and resilience
– High levels of student engagement
– The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
– Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for ~60 – 90 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. If you add extension activities, you will need to adjust timing accordingly.
NOTE: You can save even more by purchasing this bundle as part of the
STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE!!!
This resource is also available in a print version!
Note: Any coupon codes you received for subscribing to the email are for this site and will not work on TpT.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.