Looking for a fun Christmas or winter activity that incorporates science, technology, engineering, and/or math? Christmas-Winter STEM / STEAM Challenges are the perfect activities because they engage your students in brain-busting work disguised as fun!
The basic premise:
Working against a criteria/constraints list, each student will design and build reindeer antlers. Students are then grouped for a reindeer relay race in which they use their antlers to transport and hand-off Christmas decorations.
– To save time, have each student build just one antler. During the relay race, they will share with their teammates so each person “running” will have two antlers to hold on their head.
Check out the video preview to see what is included in this resource (skip ahead to 5:57 to see what is included in the resource):
Note: If you are in a 1:1 classroom, you may prefer the
digital format, compatible with Google Slides ™.
- NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
- Teacher Tips:
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Universal STEM Challenge Notes & How to Use Student Handouts
- Post-design extension activities list
- Link to a video walk-through of the challenge
- Student Handouts
- Criteria & Constraints List (color and black & white; editable version provided)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included) (color and black & white)
- Discussion Questions (in color and B&W)
- Extension templates
- Arctic/Antarctic Animal Riddle Template
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
Sample/suggested materials for each student or group:
(Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. You don’t need to provide all of the following materials. Select a subset and/or add in your own ideas.)
For each student or group:
- Pipe cleaners (10 – 15 or less if building only one antler)
- Popsicle/craft sticks (10 – 15 or less if building only one antler)
- Christmas decorations (10 – 15 mixed pieces per group)
- Ornaments (plastic), tinsel, bows, ribbon, garland, etc.
- Rubber bands
- Glue gun
- Timers/Stopwatches (for relay race)
- Cones or sidewalk chalk (for relay race markers)
This resource is also available in paperless format and as part of the Christmas/Winter and the Mega STEM Challenge bundles. Click through below: